- 3/4 cups whole raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 turmeric, for color (optional)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup agar flakes
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 TB mellow or chickpea miso
- juice from a halved fresh lemon
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- Grind the cashews in a food processor until they achieve the consistency of a fine powder. Add in the nutritional yeast, onion powder, salt, turmeric, garlic powder and white pepper.
- Heat the almond milk, agar and oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Once it begins to bubble around the edges, decrease the heat to medium-low, and stir and simmer for about 10 minutes, ensuring that the agar is completely dissolved.
- Add the cashew powder mix to the saucepan and stir vigorously. Remove about a cup of the hot mixture and place into a small bowl. Add in the miso and stir until well combined, then add that mixture back into the pot. Remove from the heat.
- Add in the lemon juice and liquid smoke. Place in the refrigerator for a few hours to gel.