This spicy carrot lox sushi is perfect for a night in! Smoky carrot lox is mixed with a spicy and creamy sauce, and avocado is added for a pop of color and some creamy freshness.
for the sushi rice
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
for the filling
- 1 cup prepared carrot lox
- 1 TB vegan mayo (I used Vegenaise)
- 1 TB to 1 tsp sriracha
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 4 toasted nori sheets
- To make the sushi rice, place the rice and water into a rice cooker and cook according to the manufacturer instructions. Once done, season with the rice vinegar, sugar and salt and set aside to cool.
- To make the filling, combine the prepared vegan lox with the vegan mayo and sriracha.
- To assemble the rolls, divide the cooled rice into 4 portions. Slide a sushi mat into a large Ziploc bag or cover with plastic wrap. Place one sheet of nori, shiny side down, on the mat. Moisten your fingers with some water to prevent rice from sticking to them, then spread the rice evenly over the nori sheet, leaving about an inch exposed at the top.
- Divide the lox into 4 portions. With the exposed end away from you, form a thin line of the lox along the side closest to you, adding a couple slices of avocado. Roll the sushi away from you, gripping the mat tightly but gently. Once rolled, seal the end with water or add a few grains of rice to the end to help seal. Now cut the sushi in half with a very sharp knife (I run the blade under scalding water for a cleaner cut), then each half into halves, then those halves into halves to make 8 pieces.
- Place onto a serving plate, repeating the process to make 4 rolls. Serve with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger, if desired.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Vegan Seafood
Keywords: vegan seafood, vegan sushi, carrot sushi, avocado sushi