FOR THE VEGAN SHRIMP CAKES
- 4 cups king oyster mushrooms (about 20 oz.), chopped into 1/8-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pureed tofu
- 1 cup panko
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo (I used Vegenaise)
- 2 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacement
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon to 1 TB sriracha
- 4 scallions, chopped
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1/8 teaspoon habanero powder, or more, to taste
- lemon wedges
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Place the chopped king oyster mushrooms into warm water for about 20 minutes to soften. Drain, pat dry and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the pureed tofu to the bowl and stir to combine, then fold in the panko, then the vegan mayo. Add in the Ener-G, dill, Old Bay, salt, sriracha and scallions. Cover and chill for a few hours to overnight.
- When you are ready to make the vegan shrimp cakes, divide the mixture into 4 portions, then each of the portions into 4 patties to make 16 shrimp cakes total.
- To make the sauce, combine the remaining 1/4 cup vegan mayo with the habanero powder.
- Pan fry in small batches in a cast iron pan in a little oil until golden all over. Serve immediately with the spicy vegan mayo, lemon wedges and chopped scallions.
- The mixture should be used within the day or the mushrooms tend to get soggy.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Vegan Seafood