These sweet potato bean burgers are packed with protein and so delicious! Serve it with the sloppy sauce recipe here for a messy and delicious burger. You can make these burgers and freeze them for later if you’d like.
for the burgers
- 1/4 cup pearled barley
- 4–5 cups water
- 2 cups small-diced sweet potatoes (about 2 small sweet potatoes)
- 3 TB olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2, 15 oz. can of beans, rinsed (any combo of black, kidney, white)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella-style vegan shreds
- one small red onion, diced
- 4–6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 TB vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp steak seasoning
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 TB VeganEgg, whisked with 1 cup freezing cold water
for the sloppy sauce
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 4 TB chopped pickles
- 2 TB minced shallot
- 2 TB ketchup
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- toasted hamburger buns
- vegan cheese slices
- lettuce, tomato, mandolined red onion
- Place the pearled barley and water into a medium-sized saucepan. Cover, bring to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. It should be completely cooked through but still firm to the bite.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Toss the sweet potato in 2 TB of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes, or until it starts developing a little color around the edges. Stir halfway through the bake time.
- On a separate baking sheet, place the beans in a single layer. Bake for about 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Allow all of the ingredients to cool and place into a large prep bowl.
- Add the vegan shreds and stir to combine.
- In a medium-sized skillet (I used cast iron), warm the remaining TB of oil over medium heat. Add the diced red onion and allow to soften and slightly caramelize for several minutes. Add in the garlic and allow to soften for a few minutes more. Add the the prep bowl and stir.
- Add the vegan Worcestershire, steak seasoning and liquid smoke to the bowl, stir, then add in the panko.
- Add in the VeganEgg mixture (it will seem like a lot, but it will all work out) and stir again.
- Form into 10-12 patties and refrigerate until ready to use.
- If freezing, place patties onto a silpat-lined baking sheet and allow to completely freeze, then transfer to a ziploc or freezer-safe container.
- To prepare, add some oil to a hot skillet, place patty into it, cover and allow to cook for a few minutes on each side or until golden.
- If using frozen patties, allow them to come to room temp before cooking.
- Combine all of the sloppy sauce ingredients beforehand or when ready to serve. Half, double or triple the recipe based on the number of burgers you’ll be making.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Boiled, Baked, Sautéed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan burger, sweet potato burger, bean burger, sweet potato bean burger