for the farro
- 2 TB vegan butter
- 1 cup farro
- several sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 cups broth
- 1 TB soy sauce
for the mushrooms and shallots
- 1 lb. shiitake, stems removed
- 1 cup mandolined shallots
- a few pinches of salt
- olive oil
to prepare the farro
- In a medium-sized heavy pot, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Once slightly bubbling, add in the farro and thyme sprigs and stir to coat. Allow to toast for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the broth and allow to come to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add in the soy sauce. Cover, but tilt the lid to allow steam to escape. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
to prepare the mushrooms and shallots
- Preheat oven to 450.
- On a baking sheet, add the shiitake in a single layer and drizzle with a little olive oil and season with a few pinches of salt.
- In a medium, sized cast iron pan, add the mandolined shallots. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt.
- Place both into the oven and allow to roast for 10-15 minutes. Flip the mushrooms and stir the shallots halfway through the cooking time. Allow to roast for 10-15 minutes more, keeping an eye on both, removing once golden.
- Warm the olive oil in a small cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until golden. Add to the cooked farro.
- Scrape out any garlic bits and add the pine nuts to the cast iron pan. Allow to slightly toast for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to the cooked farro.
- Add the mustard to the cooked farro and give it a good stir. Add in the roasted shiitake, shallots and fresh parsley to the farro.
- Transfer to serving bowls, adding in the desired amount of vegan parm. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Toasted, Boiled, Sautéed, Roasted
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: toasted farro, farro salad, vegan salad with farro