These flavorful vegan crab cake sliders are made with hearts of palm and seasoned with dill and Old Bay. It’s deep-fried and served on a toasted slider bun with special sauce. This is a perfect vegan seafood appetizer!
for the crab cakes
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1/4 tsp dill
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1, 14 oz. can hearts of palm, halved, then smashed with the flat part of a knife, then rough chopped
- 2 tsp Old Bay
- 10 saltines, crushed up with your hands
- canola, grapeseed or vegetable oil, for frying.
for the special sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 2 tsp capers
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- toasted slider buns (use olive oil or vegan butter)
- arugula, microgreens or butter lettuce (optional)
- lemon wedges (optional)
to prep the crab cake mixture
- Combine the first 3 ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Place the chopped hearts of palm into a separate bowl. Season with the Old Bay.
- Gently fold in the crushed saltines.
- Add the sauce to the crab cake mixture and gently fold again until combined.
- Form the mixture into 4 crab cakes and set aside.
to fry the crab cakes
- Place several inches of oil into a medium-sized dutch oven or cast iron pot.
- Heat the oil to about 375. It should take about 7 minutes over medium high heat.
- You can test the oil’s readiness by inserting a chopstick into the oil so it touches the bottom of the pot. If bubbles form around the chopstick immediately, you are ready to fry.
- Place one of the crab cakes onto a skimmer and lower gently into the oil. You can add another if you like, but keep the fry number to 1 or 2 for each batch.
- Using the skimmer, gently roll the crab cakes around and allow to fry for 2-3 minutes, or until deeply golden.
- Using the skimmer, transfer the crab cakes to a baking sheet with a cookie rack over the top to drain while you fry the rest.
to toast your slider buns
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add in enough vegan butter or olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Working in batches, add in the slider buns and allow to toast, gently pressing them down with your hand or a spatula to ensure even contact.
- Smear a tablespoon of the special sauce to the bun, and add the crab cake.
- Serve with greens and lemon wedges if you’d like.
The mixture needs to be used right away—do not chill.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Deep Fried
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan crab cakes, vegan crab cake, vegan crab, vegan seafood