Rich and creamy vegan potato soup! This soup has roasted garlic and is topped with smoky tempeh cubes. Feel free to sub beans for potatoes if you’d like.
for the roasted garlic
- one head of garlic
- a few tablespoons of olive oil
for the tempeh cubes
- 8 oz. tempeh
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 2 TB ketchup
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 TB agave
- 1 TB hoisin
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
for the soup
- potatoes (4 or 5 cups)
- beans (1 can, your choice)
- broth (1-2 cups)
- cashew cream (1/2 cup, plus more if desired)
- thyme, onion powder, garlic powder (1 tsp each, plus more to taste)
- scallions or any greens you already have
- something crispy (I used sealed but expired bagel chips) ¯_(ツ)_/¯
- vegan cheese
to prepare the garlic
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Lop off some of the top, just enough to expose the garlic.
- Drizzle exposed top with olive oil.
- Wrap in foil and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Allow to cool, then pop the garlic from the garlic skin.
for the tempeh
- Cut the tempeh into 1X1-inch cubes
- Whisk together the rest of the tempeh ingredients. Add tempeh, toss, and allow to marinate for 1 hour to overnight.
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat. Space the cubes out evenly onto it. Drizzle any remaining marinade over the top. Place into a preheated 400-degree oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn each piece of tempeh. Repeat on different sides for about 5 minutes until deeply golden all over. Keep an eye on it to prevent burning.
for the soup
- Make potato soup. Cube up 4 cups worth of potatoes and boil until fork tender.
- Drain, return to the pot. Add in 1 tsp or so of dried thyme, onion and garlic powders. Stir to combine. Add the roasted garlic and any of the extra oil.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable broth, stir.
- Transfer half to a blender, allow to cool, then blend until smooth. Add more broth if you’d like.
- Return to the pot and stir until you have a chunky soup.
- Want protein? Add in a can of rinsed beans. White, pinto, cannellini, etc. Toss them into the blender with the potatoes if you want them smooth.
- Want creaminess? Add cashew cream to taste.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish as desired with whatever you’ve got.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Baked, Marinated, Blended
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: vegan potato soup, potato soup