This vegan reuben with mandolined portobello is so delicious! Paper-thin portobello slices are marinated then baked. This creates a crispy and chewy texture that’s perfect for piling high onto toasted rye bread. Add vegan cheese, cabbage, and vegan reuben dressing for an indulgent sandwich!
for the mushrooms
- 1 lb portobello mushroom caps, sliced on a mandoline
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp steak seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 TB olive oil, or enough to grease a large baking sheet
for the sauce
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 3 TB chopped dill pickles
- 1 TB sriracha
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- rye bread + some oil or vegan butter
- vegan cheese (gouda, provolone, swiss, etc.) I like Follow your Heart, Violife or Daiya brands
- handful of mandolined red cabbage
to prepare the mushrooms
- combine the sliced mushrooms with the broth and spices. Allow to marinate for at least an hour to overnight. Stir once or twice during marinating to coat.
- When ready to make the sandwiches, preheat oven to 300. Place a fine meshed strainer or sieve over a bowl and press with another to get most of the liquid out. Break up with your hands and press again until almost dry.
- Transfer to a greased baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes, then stir around, baking for 10-15 more, or until mushrooms are dried out a bit, but not crispy.
- Transfer to paper towels in an even layer and set aside.
to prepare the sauce
- Combine all sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Slightly toast the bread with a little oil or vegan butter in a cast iron pan, layering some vegan cheese over to slightly melt.
- Layer the sandwich with sauerkraut, raw cabbage, mushrooms and sauce. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Marinating Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Marinated, Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan reuben, vegan reuben recipe, mushroom reuben