A rich and creamy vegan alfredo sauce that’s perfect for pasta! This vegan alfredo sauce recipe is dairy-free and delicious. It’s made with cashew cream, vegan butter and vegan parmesan for a plant-based take on the traditionally dairy-heavy version.
for the vegan alfredo sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in plenty of water overnight
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (I used Miyoko’s cultured vegan butter)
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 7 oz. vegan parmesan cheese shreds (I used Forager parmesan shreds)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 squeeze of lemon
- 1 TB finely chopped chives (optional)
- 2 servings of pasta (I used tagliatelle)
- 2 recipes of shiitake bacon
- the zest from half a lemon
- a couple small squeezes of lemon
- 1 TB chopped chives, to garnish
- 1/4 cup flat parsley, to garnish
to make the alfredo sauce
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Place them into a high-speed blender with just enough water to slightly cover them. Process them slowly to begin with, then increase the speed to high and process for about 30 seconds or until completely smooth.
- Melt the vegan butter in a small Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the parmesan shreds, stir. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and allow the shreds to slightly melt for 2-3 minutes. They don’t need to be fully melted.
- Transfer the onions and cheese to the blender. Add the garlic powder.
- Process the mixture until completely smooth. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and the chives, if you’d like.
to finish the dish
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Reserve a cup of the pasta liquid before draining it.
- Toss the pasta in the desired amount of vegan alfredo sauce, adding a few splashes of the reserved pasta water until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Add in the shiitake bacon and lemon zest.
- Transfer to serving bowls. Add a squeeze of lemon over each bowl if you’d like, along with the chives and parsley.
This alfredo sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sautéed, Blended
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: non dairy alfredo sauce, vegan alfredo, vegan fettuccine alfredo, vegan alfredo sauce recipe, cashew alfredo sauce