Traditional alfredo sauce is packed with heavy cream, butter and parmesan cheese. This vegan version uses cashew cream, vegan butter and vegan parmesan shreds to make an equally delicious but dairy-free version. This super-rich and creamy sauce is perfect drenched over pasta!
This vegan alfredo sauce makes a perfect indulgent dinner. Douse it over the pasta of your choice (I used vegan tagliatelle pasta—all of the fettuccine I looked at contained egg). It coats and clings to the noodles creating a luscious texture and creamy flavor.
How to make vegan alfredo sauce
This vegan alfredo sauce uses rich cashew cream made by soaking raw cashews in water overnight, draining them, then processing them with some water in a high-speed blender until silky smooth. I always like to add a little bit of acid, like apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar, to counteract the subtle sweetness of the cashew cream. In this application, a squeeze of lemon juice works very well to counteract that sweetness. It also adds some brightness to help balance out richness of the sauce.
This recipe blends the cashew cream with onions softened in vegan butter (I used Miyoko’s cultured butter), vegan parmesan shreds (I used Forager brand) and garlic powder. You can fold in chives at the end if you want to add some color and texture to the sauce. I admit I did a little dance after tasting this straight from my Vitamix … it’s so good!
This vegan alfredo sauce is:
- impossibly rich and silky
- perfect for dinner guests
- a fun dinner for two
- easy to make
- incredibly delicious!
This sauce pairs well with any type of pasta. I used an egg-free tagliatelle, but fettuccine would be great too if you can find an egg-free version. Before draining your pasta, be sure to reserve about a cup of the pasta water to thin out the sauce towards the end. Just give it a few splashes and stir until the desired consistency is achieved.
Ideas for adding in some extra flavor and texture in the pasta
I added in shiitake bacon which added in a nice smoky, salty taste that went well with the richness of the sauce. You could also add in vegan chicken, greens, vegan scallops, roasted tomatoes and chickpeas, any array of mushrooms or even make your own homemade ravioli and drizzle the sauce over it!Print
Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups
- Diet: Vegan
A rich and creamy vegan alfredo sauce that’s perfect for pasta! This recipe is dairy-free and delicious. It’s made with cashew cream, vegan butter and vegan parmesan for a plant-based take on the traditionally dairy-heavy version.
for the vegan alfredo sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in plenty of water overnight
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (I used Miyoko’s cultured vegan butter)
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 7 oz. vegan parmesan cheese shreds (I used Forager parmesan shreds)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 squeeze of lemon
- 1 TB finely chopped chives (optional)
- 2 servings of pasta (I used tagliatelle)
- 2 recipes of shiitake bacon
- the zest from half a lemon
- a couple small squeezes of lemon
- 1 TB chopped chives, to garnish
- 1/4 cup flat parsley, to garnish
to make the alfredo sauce
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Place them into a high-speed blender with just enough water to slightly cover them. Process them slowly to begin with, then increase the speed to high and process for about 30 seconds or until completely smooth.
- Melt the vegan butter in a small Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the parmesan shreds, stir. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and allow the shreds to slightly melt for 2-3 minutes. They don’t need to be fully melted.
- Transfer the onions and cheese to the blender. Add the garlic powder.
- Process the mixture until completely smooth. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and the chives, if you’d like.
to finish the dish
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Reserve a cup of the pasta liquid before draining it.
- Toss the pasta in the desired amount of vegan alfredo sauce, adding a few splashes of the reserved pasta water until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Add in the shiitake bacon and lemon zest.
- Transfer to serving bowls. Add a squeeze of lemon over each bowl if you’d like, along with the chives and parsley.
This alfredo sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sautéed, Blended
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan alfredo sauce, alfredo vegan sauce, dairy-free alfredo sauce, sauce alfredo vegan
Sprinkle with chopped chives and fresh parsley for a bit of freshness and a pop of green!
More pasta dishes to love:
Pasta with a Garlic, Butter and White Wine Sauce
Pasta with Seaweed-Matcha Butter and Vegan Scallops
Vegan Scallops in a Bacon-Cashew Cream Sauce
Cheese-Stuffed Homemade Ravioli with White Wine Sauce
Some great things I watched, listened to and read these past few weeks!
We watched Inside Man on Netflix and it was so good! There are only four episodes, but things happen fast. I recommend not reading anything about it and just watching it!
I listened to the Sara Bareilles episode on How to Remember Yourself and it blew me away. Sara (an angel from heaven) was so open and vulnerable. I love all of the episodes in the We Can Do Hard Things podcast, but this episode especially spoke to the introvert in me and all of the conflicting feelings it sometimes creates.
The Maid was a really fun read, and I fell in love with Molly right away. This murder mystery was a light one, full of great characters, funny in some places and deeply touching in others.
Leave a Reply