This creamy pasta with vegan scallops is one of my favorite dishes to make. I combined plump, seared vegan scallops (sliced king oyster mushroom stems) and a smoky cashew cream sauce together and served it over pasta. This is a fun dinner to make for a night in when only carbs will do. Enjoy with a glass of wine and savor the flavors in this dish!
How to make this Creamy Pasta with Vegan Scallops recipe
There are three components to this recipe: vegan scallops (more on that in a bit), the smoky cashew cream sauce and the pasta of your choice. The cashew cream sauce is flavored with liquid smoke, mellow miso, shallots, garlic and some acid. Once I seared these vegan scallops, I served them over pasta with a generous amount of the creamy, smoky sauce. It’s smells amazing while making it! Grab a glass of wine and make this delicious vegan seafood dish!
What are vegan scallops made from?
Vegan scallops what? I made these completely plant-based scallops with sliced king oyster mushroom stems that were soaked in water then seared. Their taste and texture is almost identical to sea-based scallops. You can score them for a visually interesting look that holds more sauce or leave them as is.
Check out these recipes for more ways to use vegan scallops in other dishes!
Blend cultured vegan butter with ochazuke wakame seasoning and matcha powder to make this Vegan Scallops with Seaweed-Matcha Butter recipe
Combine peas, white white and cashew cream to make this Vegan Scallops with Pea Puree and Watercress recipe
Incorporate lemon, coconut milk, capers and cashew cream together to make this Vegan Scallops in a White Wine Cream Sauce over Pasta recipe
Why this creamy pasta with vegan scallops recipe works
There’s just something so delicious about the texture of these scallops with pasta. Add some smoky cashew cream, and it’s heavenly! There’s something so good about combining smokiness with scallops … these two components together just work. Add a creamy element, and it feels like a very luxurious dinner without a ton of work involved.
For more delicious pasta ideas, check out my recipes for The Best Vegan Alfredo Sauce, Pasta with White Wine Sauce, Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce and Caramelized Shallots and Mushroom Stroganoff.Print
This creamy pasta with vegan scallops recipe uses king oyster mushrooms that are soaked then seared. A creamy sauce made with cashew cream and liquid smoke creates a flavor and texture that pulls everything together. This recipe is fun to make and is so delicious!
for the cashews
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 20 minutes or overnight, then drained and rinsed
- 2 cups No-Chicken broth
for the smoky cashew cream sauce
- 2 TB refined coconut oil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 6–8 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 1/3 cup white wine
for the pureed cashew cream sauce
- 2–3 cups No-Chicken broth
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 TB chickpea or other light, mellow miso
- 3 TB nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp coconut vinegar OR the juice from half a lemon
for the king oyster mushroom scallops
- 1–2 TB olive oil
- 2 medium- to large-sized king oyster mushroom, sliced into scallop-sized pieces and soaked in warm water for about 20 minutes.
- 4 servings of linguine, spaghetti or any wide, long noodle, cooked according to package instructions
- a handful of fresh parsley, chopped
to prepare the cashews
- Place the cashews and one cup of the broth into a blender (high speed, if you have one) or a food processor. The food processor will give a grainier texture, but this almost mimics parmesan cheese in this application, so either way you prefer works.
- Add in the remaining one cup of broth and blend or puree until smooth. Set aside.
to prepare the cashew cream-bacon sauce
- Melt the refined coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add in the shallots and saute for a few minutes, then add in the garlic and saute for a few minutes more, or until soft. If the garlic starts to turn golden at any point, reduce your heat down to its lowest setting.
- Turn the heat up to medium, wait a minute. Add the wine and allow to sizzle for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, then add the cashew cream to the pot.
- Add one cup of the broth to the pot, and stir to combine, keeping the heat at medium low.
- Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat slightly up to maintain the simmer, and turn slightly down if the mixture starts sputtering. Add more broth as needed as it reduces to maintain a gravy-like consistency—not too thick, not too thin.
- Add in the liquid smoke, miso, nutritional yeast and vinegar or lemon juice, stir to combine and taste. If you detect any sweetness from the cashews, add in a little more coconut vinegar or lemon.
- If you want the sauce to taste a little more bacon-ey, add a few more dashes of liquid smoke. If you want it a little saltier and have more umami, add an additional tablespoon of miso.
to prepare the king oyster mushroom scallops
- Place a stainless steel or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add a little bit of oil to the pan, then carefully add the mushrooms. (They will sputter a bit, so take care.) Allow to develop a little color around the edges on the bottom, then flip, repeating the process on the other side. Repeat with any remaining mushrooms, and set aside.
- Place the cooked pasta into bowls and top with the sauce, or toss the pasta in the sauce. Top with the mushroom scallops and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately,
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Blended, Sautéed, Simmered, Seared, Boiled
- Cuisine: French, Italian
Keywords: vegan pasta, vegan scallops, creamy vegan pasta sauce, vegan scallop dish, vegan seafood