These sweet potato and kidney bean burritos are easy to make, packed with protein and dripping with melty vegan cheese! These are a enjoyed often in our home. The taste is incredible and leftovers reheat beautifully.
for the filling
- 4–5 cups sweet potato, cut into small cubes (about 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a few pinches of pepper
- 1 tsp dried chili powder
- 1 tsp dried ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 large or 3 small red onions, sliced on a mandoline
- 8 oz. chorizo-style seitan or Mexican chipotle vegan sausage links, finely chopped
- 1 19 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 6–10 cloves garlic, finely minced
for the burritos
- 10 large flour tortillas
- 1 19 oz. can enchilada sauce
- 8 oz. white vegan cheese shreds
- chopped cilantro
- chopped tomato, iceberg lettuce
- vegan sour cream
to prepare the filling
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a large prep bowl, toss the sweet potato in the oil to coat, then season with the sale and pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, stirring around 3 or 4 times during baking promote even baking.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done, place them back into the large prep bowl and season with the chili, coriander and cumin. Set aside.
- To caramelize the onions, preheat a large cast iron over medium-high heat. Add in a couple tablespoons of olive oil and add in the onions. Allow to cook down for about 10 minutes, giving them a stir every now and then.
- Reduce heat to low, then allow them to cook down and deepen in color, about 10 minutes more. Add them to the prep bowl with the sweet potatoes.
- Give the seitan or vegan sausage a quick saute, then add to the prep bowl.
- Add the rinsed kidney beans to the bowl.
- Saute the garlic in a little olive oil in a cast iron pan until super soft and only slightly golden. Transfer to the prep bowl.
- Mix everything up gently. Set aside and allow to cool to room temp if prepping the burritos immediately. Otherwise, transfer to a container and refrigerate until you are ready to assemble and bake the burritos.
To make the burritos
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Add about 2/3 cup of the filling to the center of a flour tortilla. Fold in the ends, then roll the tortillas up tightly. Add to a slightly greased pyrex. I made 6, then saved the rest of the filling for eating later.
- Smother the tortillas with the enchilada sauce and top with the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 15 minutes more.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then serve as desired.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Sautéed, Baked
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
Keywords: sweet potato and kidney bean burritos, vegan burritos, sweet potato burritos, sweet potato and bean burritos