These sweet potato and kidney bean burritos are easy to make, filling and smothered in an enchilada sauce with ooey gooey vegan cheese. Caramelized onion, vegan chorizo and spices are tossed into the mix to make the perfect hearty texture. We enjoy these burritos a few times a month, and they may become a go-to recipe for you as well!
I came up with this recipe during the early days of Covid. I stocked up on canned items and had lots of sweet potatoes. This recipe used up pantry items well, and we both loved the taste. I added in vegan chorizo because I found a box of it in my freezer and I already had all of the spices on hand.
How to make these burritos
These burritos are easy to make! Were going to start with cubing up some sweet potato.
Toss the cubes in a little olive oil. Use parchment paper if you want. Give the sweet potatoes a roast for about 30 minutes, tossing halfway through or until the cubes are a little golden all over.
While your sweet potato is roasting, place your mandolined red onion into an oiled and hot cast iron pan.
Allow some color to develop for about 10 minutes, reduce the heat, and allow the color to deepen for about 10 minutes more. I love the smell and color of these onions!
Combine these two things with kidney beans, softened garlic and store-bought chipotle-style seitan or mexican chipotle-style vegan sausage.
Mix everything up, folding it gently with a spatula or spoon.
Next, fill and fold your burritos.
How to fold a burrito
Here’s a handy guide on how to fold your burritos!
How to prep burritos for baking
Load your lovely burritos into a casserole dish.
Smother them with canned enchilada sauce. Top with an inappropriate amount of vegan shreds. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted and everything is bubbly. It smells so good!
Top off your burritos
I added finely minced red onion and cilantro for some crunch and a little pop of color. You can saute your onion if you like, add salsa verde, pico de gallo, sliced jalapeños, sliced avocado or vegan sour cream.
Can these burritos be reheated?
Yes! These burritos can be easily reheated in the microwave or oven, and can be frozen for easy weeknight dinners later.
Check out these recipes to transform these burritos into a feast!
Stay safe and well, friends. <3Print
These sweet potato and kidney bean burritos are easy to make, packed with protein and dripping with melty vegan cheese! These are a enjoyed often in our home. The taste is incredible and leftovers reheat beautifully.
for the filling
- 4–5 cups sweet potato, cut into small cubes (about 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a few pinches of pepper
- 1 tsp dried chili powder
- 1 tsp dried ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 large or 3 small red onions, sliced on a mandoline
- 8 oz. chorizo-style seitan or Mexican chipotle vegan sausage links, finely chopped
- 1 19 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 6–10 cloves garlic, finely minced
for the burritos
- 10 large flour tortillas
- 1 19 oz. can enchilada sauce
- 8 oz. white vegan cheese shreds
- chopped cilantro
- chopped tomato, iceberg lettuce
- vegan sour cream
to prepare the filling
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a large prep bowl, toss the sweet potato in the oil to coat, then season with the sale and pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, stirring around 3 or 4 times during baking promote even baking.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done, place them back into the large prep bowl and season with the chili, coriander and cumin. Set aside.
- To caramelize the onions, preheat a large cast iron over medium-high heat. Add in a couple tablespoons of olive oil and add in the onions. Allow to cook down for about 10 minutes, giving them a stir every now and then.
- Reduce heat to low, then allow them to cook down and deepen in color, about 10 minutes more. Add them to the prep bowl with the sweet potatoes.
- Give the seitan or vegan sausage a quick saute, then add to the prep bowl.
- Add the rinsed kidney beans to the bowl.
- Saute the garlic in a little olive oil in a cast iron pan until super soft and only slightly golden. Transfer to the prep bowl.
- Mix everything up gently. Set aside and allow to cool to room temp if prepping the burritos immediately. Otherwise, transfer to a container and refrigerate until you are ready to assemble and bake the burritos.
To make the burritos
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Add about 2/3 cup of the filling to the center of a flour tortilla. Fold in the ends, then roll the tortillas up tightly. Add to a slightly greased pyrex. I made 6, then saved the rest of the filling for eating later.
- Smother the tortillas with the enchilada sauce and top with the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 15 minutes more.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then serve as desired.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Sautéed, Baked
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
Keywords: sweet potato and kidney bean burritos, vegan burritos, sweet potato burritos, sweet potato and bean burritos