This easy homemade pizza dough is fun to make and the crust is so crispy and pillowy. I love the meditative process of making pizza dough, kneading it and watching it bake. It smells so good and is such a satisfying process. Once the crust is done, you can top if off with whatever you like!
Making pizza dough is an easy and calming process
I love the calm and repetitive process of kneading dough. It’s a nice way to zone out or turn inward. It’s a way to engage all of the senses and just be in the present moment. And then you get some delicious pizza at the end of it. 🙂
How to make this recipe
There’s not much to it. It’s really simple. It just takes some extra time. Grab a book or a glass of wine if you’d like.
What is 00 flour?
00 or Double Zero flour is super finely ground flour, made from durum wheat. If you want a crispier crust, look for Tipo 00 flour, which is the finest grade of flour milled in Italy. If you want a chewier crust, try bread flour, or experiment with blending 00 with bread flour to create a crunchy and chewy-textured crust.
Combine 00 flour, salt, yeast and water. Give it a stir until it comes together. Then, toss some 00 flour directly onto a clean work surface.
You knead to do this
Knead and think calm thoughts for the next 5-10 minutes. You’re also getting a nice mini-workout for your arms! Keep going until the dough is super silky and smooth.
Allow your pizza dough to rise
Divide the dough in half. Add to a glass container and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to slightly rise for the next couple of hours.
Form the dough
Once your dough has risen, form it. Spin slowly and let gravity pull it out. Keep turning so the dough thickness is even, until it’s about 10-inches in circumference. It can be perfect or “rustic” like mine was.
Press your fingers around the edges to form the crust. Spoon and spread with your choice of sauce (see the graphic at the end of this post for more ideas).
The best vegan pizza toppings
- Beyond Meat Sausage
- Field Roast Italian Sausages
- Vegan Pepperoni
- Vegan cheese (I like Violife)
- Red onion
- Oil-cured or kalamata olives
Sauté any vegan meat, onion and garlic separately. Top your pizza with them.
Bake your pizza
Place into a 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until bubbly and gooey. I used a preheated pizza stone for one and a slightly oiled baking sheet for the other—both turned out great.
Admire your gooey + piping hot pizza slice. Let it cool down for a few minutes … this is the hardest part! Turn pizza slice around. Insert into face. 😀
More pizza ideas!
Quinoa Pizza Crust (gluten-free)
Focaccia Pizza topped with: apple, walnuts, balsamic and onion
Purple Cauliflower Crust PizzaPrint
Easy Homemade Pizza Dough
- Total Time: 2 hours 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- Diet: Vegan
This easy homemade pizza dough is fun to make and the process is very calming. Once you allow the dough to rise, you knead it, then top with your favorite toppings. The hardest part is waiting for it to cool down before eating it!
for the pizza dough
- 4 cups 00 flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp active dry yeast dissolved in 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
to top off
- 1–2 cups prepared pizza sauce
- 1 bag vegan cheeze shreds
- 2–3 links vegan sausage, crumbled up and browned
- 1/2 large red onion, diced and sauteed until golden
- handful of oil-cured olives
- 4–6 cloves sauteed garlic
to make the pizza
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the yeast and water in a measuring cup, add to bowl.
- Stir until combined.
- Transfer to a floured surface.
- Knead until smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Divide into 2 portions.
- Transfer to bowls and cover with plastic wrap, allowing to rise for a couple of hours.
- Once risen, preheat oven to 450. If using a pizza stone, place into oven to preheat.
- Form dough into 10-inch diameter disks.
- Form crust by pressing your fingertips into edges.
- Spoon pizza sauce onto dough in a thin+even layer.
- Top with vegan cheese, followed by browned vegan sausage, red onion and olives.
- I brushed the crust with some olive oil and sprinkled with some coarse salt.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and bake for 2-3 minutes more.
- Allow to slightly cool, then slice and serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Rising Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Method: Kneaded, Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: easy homemade pizza dough, vegan pizza dough, vegan pizza, homemade vegan pizza
This looks simply amazing! I love how you can have a really hearty “meaty” delicious pizza which is entirely vegan:)