Packed with protein, calcium and iron, quinoa makes an incredibly filling breakfast. I especially love it smothered in a combination of Earth Balance, toasted coconut, cardamom and pistachios—which provides the right amount of richness to perfectly compliment quinoa’s uniquely light and fluffy texture. This recipe is perfect for a workday breakfast, and makes enough to last throughout the entire week.Print
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup organic quinoa, rinsed in a fine mesh strainer
- 1–2 TB Earth Balance
- 1–2 TB raw agave
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened and shredded coconut
- coconut or almond milk, to serve
- Place the water and quinoa in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring it to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer. Cover and allow to cook for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Allow it to remain in the pot covered for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the lid. It should now fluff easily when stirred with a fork. Add in the Earth Balance, agave, cardamom and salt.
- Lightly toast the coconut in a small pan over medium heat for about a minute.
- To serve, sprinkle with some of the toasted coconut, pistachios and a splash of vegan milk.