Packed with protein, calcium and iron, quinoa makes an incredibly filling breakfast. I especially love it smothered in a combination of Earth Balance, toasted coconut, cardamom and pistachios—which provides the right amount of richness to perfectly compliment quinoa’s uniquely light and fluffy texture. This recipe is perfect for a workday breakfast, and makes enough to last throughout the entire week.
Get This Recipe In Your Inbox
Share your email, and we'll deliver it straight to your inbox.
Plus, enjoy new recipes every week as a bonus!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup organic quinoa, rinsed in a fine mesh strainer
- 1–2 TB Earth Balance
- 1–2 TB raw agave
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened and shredded coconut
- coconut or almond milk, to serve
- Place the water and quinoa in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring it to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer. Cover and allow to cook for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Allow it to remain in the pot covered for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the lid. It should now fluff easily when stirred with a fork. Add in the Earth Balance, agave, cardamom and salt.
- Lightly toast the coconut in a small pan over medium heat for about a minute.
- To serve, sprinkle with some of the toasted coconut, pistachios and a splash of vegan milk.