I love the calm + repetitive process of kneading dough. It’s a nice way to zone out or turn inward.
Combine 00 flour, salt, yeast and water. You can read the science-y stuff about 00 flour here.
Give it a stir until it comes together.
Toss some 00 flour directly onto a clean work surface.
Knead and think calm thoughts for the next 5-10 minutes. You’re also getting a nice mini-workout for your arms!
Keep going until the dough is super silky and smooth.
Divide the dough in half. Add to a glass container and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to slightly rise for the next couple of hours.
Form the dough. Spin slowly and let gravity pull it out. Keep turning so the dough thickness is even, until it’s about 10-inches in circumference. It can be perfect or “rustic” like mine was.
Press your fingers around the edges to form the crust.
Spoon and spread with your choice of sauce (see the graphic at the end of this post for more ideas).
I topped mine with some Beyond Meat sausage from my freezer, some of red onion and garlic from that bowl in my kitchen, prepared pizza sauce and oil-cured olives from my pantry + vegan cheeze shreds.
Place into a 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until bubbly and gooey. I used a preheated pizza stone for one and a slightly oiled baking sheet for the other—both turned out great.
Admire your gooey + piping hot pizza slice. Let it cool down for a few minutes … this is the hardest part!
More pizza ideas!
Easy homemade pizza dough, with ideas + inspo for toppings and other variations.
for the pizza dough
- 4 cups 00 flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp active dry yeast dissolved in 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
to top off
- 1–2 cups prepared pizza sauce
- 1 bag vegan cheeze shreds
- 2–3 links vegan sausage, crumbled up and browned
- 1/2 large red onion, diced and sauteed until golden
- handful of oil-cured olives
- 4–6 cloves sauteed garlic
to make the pizza
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the yeast and water in a measuring cup, add to bowl.
- Stir until combined.
- Transfer to a floured surface.
- Knead until smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Divide into 2 portions.
- Transfer to bowls and cover with plastic wrap, allowing to rise for a couple of hours.
- Once risen, preheat oven to 450. If using a pizza stone, place into oven to preheat.
- Form dough into 10-inch diameter disks.
- Form crust by pressing your fingertips into edges.
- Spoon pizza sauce onto dough in a thin+even layer.
- Top with vegan cheese, followed by browned vegan sausage, red onion and olives.
- I brushed the crust with some olive oil and sprinkled with some coarse salt.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and bake for 2-3 minutes more.
- Allow to slightly cool, then slice and serve.