When I went vegan about 10 years ago, the only vegan cheese options available where I lived were two brands that tasted like wax and sawdust (and are mysteriously STILL on shelves!), tofu only came in aseptic packaging on an unrefrigerated shelf (at least where I lived) and vegan bacon wasn’t really a thing. I love seeing how vegan products have grown and evolved over the years for three reasons: a.) they are usually fantastic b.) the fact they are being made means that there is a growing demand for them and c.) every time a consumer eats a meat analogue, it means they are not eating an animal … and that’s a great thing! With consistency, that means that less animals will eventually be bred for meat and dairy consumption.
Sweet Earth brand Benevolent Bacon is amazing and Follow Your Heart American-Style slices are the best in my book, and I used them both here, along with an eggy tofu to create a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit—something I used to eat all the time before I went vegetarian and then vegan. Piled onto this olive oil biscuit, this decadent yet simple recipe is perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch. It’s also great served with a sawmill gravy (add Gimmie Lean Vegan Sausage-Style into the mix if you want) or with soup.Print
for the olive oil biscuits
- 2 TB olive oil
- 2/3 cup almond or soy milk
- 2 tsp coconut vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup AP flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2–3 TB melted Earth Balance, for brushing the tops of the biscuits
for the tofu “egg”
- 1/2 slab soft or lite firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch thick slabs
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- a few dashes of fresh cracked pepper
- pinch of balt salt (optional)
- 4–6 slices of Follow Your Heart brand American-Style Slices
- 1 package Sweet Earth Brand Benevolent Bacon
To make the vegan olive oil biscuits
- Preheat oven to 425. Drizzle the 2 TB of oil into the bottom of a medium-sized cast iron pan and place into the oven to warm while you prepare the biscuits.
- Whisk together the vegan milk, coconut vinegar and olive oil together in a small bowl. Set aside to curdle for about 10 minutes.
- Combine the AP flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir with a rubber spatula until a soft dough forms. It will be really sticky.
- Remove the hot cast iron pan from the oven. Drop about 6 evenly-sized dollops of the dough into the cast iron pan, making sure they touch one another (which will help them rise properly). They don’t need to be perfect.
- Place onto the middle oven rack and bake for about 9 minutes. Remove the pan, then brush the tops of each with melted vegan butter. Return to the top rack and bake for 2-3 minutes more, or until the tops are evenly golden brown.
To make your tofu egg
- While your biscuits are baking, make your tofu egg by whisking together all of the “egg” ingredients, except for the tofu. Place the cut tofu slabs into the mixture and flip to coat. Place them into a cast iron pan preheated over medium heat, and allow to develop a golden color on all sides. Set aside and place a slice of cheese over them to allow the cheese to get a little melty.
- Quickly sear the bacon.
- Assemble the components onto the biscuits as desired and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes