Breaded + deep-fried oyster mushrooms, mandolined cabbage, cilantro, and a squeeze of chipotle + lime sauce … let’s taco about it!
Start with the biggest, juiciest oyster mushrooms you can find. An Asian market is probably your best bet. It’s good to have different-sized shrooms for texture: one-bite, two-bite or three-bite.
I use Follow Your Heart’s VeganEgg, AP flour, panko and garlic+onion powder.
Dip, dunk, dip, coat. Transfer to a wire rack so you can fry and end up with the crispiest, meatiest shrooms for your tacos.
The tiny shrooms are perfect for dipping into the sauce while you are prepping. 🙂
While you are prepping, there is also plenty of time for your husband to photograph his vintage Han Solo figure.
More taco + sauce inspiration!
Korean-Style Tacos | Creamy Poblano + Cilantro Sauce | Veggie Grill Copycat Koreatown Tacos | Crispy Hearts of Palm Tacos | Tacos de Hongos | Gochujang Queso | Jackfruit Soft Tacos | Buffalo Chickpea Tacos
Oyster Mushroom Tacos with Chipotle + Lime Sauce
Yield 2-4 servings
Crispy on the outside + meaty on the inside: fried oyster mushrooms are perfect for tacos!
for the mushrooms
- 8-10 oz. oyster mushrooms
- 2 TB Follow Your Heart's VeganEgg, whisked with 1 1/2 cup freezing cold water
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup AP flour
- 2 cups panko
- 1 TB garlic powder
- 1 TB onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- canola or grapeseed oil, for frying
for the chipotle + lime sauce
- 1-3 chipotles in adobo
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- juice from 1/2 a lime
- mandolined green + red cabbage
- fresh cilantro
- corn tortillas, warmed
to make the mushrooms
- Set up three large bowls in a row. In the first bowl, whisk together the VeganEgg + freezing cold water. In the second bowl, place the AP flour. In third bowl, the seasoned panko.
- Line a baking sheet with a wire cooling rack.
- Working in small batches, dip the shrooms into the VeganEgg, then the AP flour, back into the VeganEgg, then press into the panko mixture until well-coated. Transfer to the cooling rack until all shrooms are breaded.
- In a medium-sized cast iron or dutch oven, heat several inches of oil over medium-high heat. After about 7 minutes, test the oil for readiness. (It should be between 350 and 375 degrees.) I test for readiness by inserting a chopstick into the oil until it touches the bottom of the pot. If bubbles form around it immediately, you are ready to fry.
- Fry in small batches (overcrowding will reduce the oil temp, resulting in soggy shrooms). Transfer back to the wire rack to cool as you finish frying the rest.
to make the sauce
- Combine the chipotle + lime and vegan mayo. Taste and adjust any flavors as desired. Can be made ahead of time and chilled.
- Warm the tortillas in a cast iron pan or baking sheet at 350 for a couple of minutes. Serve immediately with the mandolined cabbage, shrooms, herbs and sauce.
- VeganEgg wash: I used this brand in this recipe, and did not test out other options. If you try another one with good results, I'd love to know!
- Baking the mushrooms: I deep-fried these mushrooms, and did not test out baking them. If you try baking with good results, I'd love to know!
- The fried mushrooms in this recipe reheat very well in an air fryer for a few minutes at 400.
- Air-frying the mushrooms: I deep-fried the mushrooms in this recipe and did not test out air frying them. If you try that with good results, I'd love to know!
My gratitude list for the week + favorite finds:
Magnesium Glycinate Chelate. This, along with acupuncture, is increasing my calm, I think. Do I just want them to or is it actually working? Giving it another month, but thankful for options.
How to Be Nice to Yourself, by Laura Silberstein-Tirch PsyD. Working on self-compassion! This book tells you why self-compassion is essential and helps you set up and build a strategy to be more resilient.
On Monday, it was cool enough that we could open up all the windows in the house. The fallish-feeling Boston breeze felt so good, I wanted to cry. My hatred for summer heat and humidity runs deep, which makes Fall the best time of the year.
Mindhunter on Netflix, Season One. Obsessed!