These vegan Cheez-Its are a one-ingredient, gluten-free delight. Find a package of vegan cheddar slices and you have all of the ingredients you’ll need. Just cut and bake to create a cracker that’s cheesy, savory and crispy!
When this article popped up in my newsfeed for making vegan Cheez-Its, I had to try it out. It’s a one-ingredient recipe using only vegan cheese slices to make vegan cheddar crackers. No flours, no mixing, no measuring. Just slice vegan cheddar cheese slices and bake. It’s that easy!
Equipment you’ll need
If you want, you can use a knife and just eyeball it when slicing the cheese into squares. I used:
A fluted pastry cutter: This tool will make a pretty edge with ridges. Why not?
Bench scraper: You can use this tool to cut a straight line, and to measure your cuts. However, we realized that the cheese slice shapes are already pretty irregular, so measuring wasn’t completely necessary. None of the cut pieces were the exact same size, but they all baked pretty evenly.
A chopstick: You can use a chopstick to poke a Cheez-It-sized hole into the center of each square.
Best Vegan Cheese Brands To Use In This Recipe
I used Violife vegan cheddar cheese slices for this. Here are some other brands that could work. Because this recipe is so non-fussy you should have no problems other than tweaking the time and checking it from time to time to prevent any browning from occurring.
Whole Foods 365 Non-Dairy Cheddar Slices: The texture of this cheese is firmer and has a less cheesy taste than other brands. It’s perfect melted into a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup.
Miyoko’s Cultured Farmhouse Cheddar Style slices: Because these slices are cultured, I like eating them straight out of the package or on crackers as opposed to heating them.
How to Make Homemade Vegan Cheez-Its
Slice whatever vegan cheese brand you like into squares using a knife or fluted pastry cutter.
Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. Arrange the pieces evenly over the top. Using a chopstick, poke a hole into the center of each piece. Sprinkle with just a touch of flaky sea salt. It can get easily over salted, so go lightly.
Bake in a preheated 300-degree oven. After 45 minutes, the squares will go from this, to this. They are done when the edges look dried and sharp, but not browned. Allow the squares to rest on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes before removing them.
How to serve these Vegan Cheez-Its
These crackers are the most delicious after being completely cooled. Just pop off of the Silpat and serve.
These make a great:
- snack when you’re feeling snacky
- gluten-free snack if you are avoiding gluten
- item to bring or serve at a gathering
Who would have thought vegan sliced cheese could be transformed into vegan crackers so easily!?
More vegan snacking recipes to explore
If you are looking for more vegan snack ideas, check these ideas out. They range from fancy and sophisticated to everyday snacks!
- For a fun vegan brunch or party, these carrot lox crackers will start a conversation. Serve on crostini for a sturdier bite.
- These homemade tater tots use mashed potatoes that are deep fried to create a crispy exterior and fluffy interior. Serve with any kind of sauce you like!
- If you are looking to change up your french fry routine, try these chickpea fries made with chickpea flour and water. They are so good!
- If you have a dehydrator, this cauliflower jerky recipe is a great one to make! It’s chewy cauliflower with a little kick of heat!
- These loaded smashed potatoes are perfect for game day or movie night. Top with as little or as much as you like and dive in!
Make vegan Cheez It crackers with just a few slices of vegan cheddar cheese! No mixing, no flours, no measuring. Just cut the cheese slices into squares, poke a hole in the middle a bake. You’ll create vegan cheese crackers in about 45 minutes!
- one package vegan cheddar slices (I used Violife brand)
- flaky sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper.
- Cut each slice of cheese into squares, to yield 9 squares per piece.
- Repeat this process based on how many crackers you’d like to make.
- Arrange the squares onto the lined baking sheet.
- Poke a hole into the center with a chopstick.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the edges are dry but not browned. Keep an eye on them towards the end of the bake time.
- Allow them to rest on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then remove from the baking sheet and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan cheez it, gluten-free cracker, vegan cracker