It’s so hot outside! When the heat climbs up into the 90s, I feel so trapped. I only want to drink cold water and eat cold food. This berry salad is perfect for adding some freshness and coolness to an oppressively hot day.
I used fresh blackberries, cherries and blueberries here, but you can use any berry or stone fruit that you like.
A cherry pitter is perfect for this job. It’s messy work, but way better than prying out the pits by hand.
The dressing here is just lime juice, zest and sugar. To yield more juice from the lime, roll it on your countertop with the palm of your hand. Use a zester all over, using just enough pressure to remove the green part and not the white part to reduce bitterness. Then halve it and juice the lime using a juicer if you’ve got one.
I processed the lime and sugar in a processor for a smoother texture, but it’s not totally necessary here.
This dressing will yield more than you need, but you can reserve it and add to leftover berries, or toss some into cold water for a refreshing drink. Enjoy at room temp or give it a chill before serving.
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2 cups cherries, pitted and halved or quartered
- the zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2 tsp sugar
- In a large prep bowl, toss the berries together.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the lime juice, zest and sugar. Process in a food processor if you’d like a smoother texture, but this step isn’t necessary.
- Pour half of the dressing over the berries and gently toss to coat. Taste, then add more dressing if you’d like. Served chilled or at room temp.
- Reserve the extra dressing in the refrigerator. Add to any leftover berries or toss into cold water for a refreshing drink.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes