In this mixed berry salad, these sweet berries pop with a hint of sour and are tossed with sugar, lime zest and lime juice. This is a refreshing recipe that’s perfect in a bowl for summer and can be used in other desserts, over vegan ice cream, in side dishes and more. Enjoy the freshness and vibrant color!
It’s so hot outside! When the heat climbs up into the 90s, I feel so trapped. I only want to drink cold water and eat cold food. This mixed berry salad is perfect for adding some freshness and coolness to an oppressively hot day.
This berry salad is:
- Easy to make
- Super fresh!
- Perfect for eating while you are prepping
- Good cold or at room temp
- Great on really hot days
- Portable and packable
- Can be modified based on fruits that are in season
- … and incredibly delicious!
What fruits are best for making a fruit salad?
I used fresh blackberries, cherries and blueberries here, but you can use any berry or stone fruit that you like, such as:
A cherry pitter is perfect for this job. It’s messy work, but way better than prying out the pits by hand.
What pulls everything together: this sweet lime dressing!
The dressing here is just lime juice, zest and sugar. To yield more juice from the lime, roll it on your countertop with the palm of your hand. Use a zester all over, using just enough pressure to remove the green part and not the white part to reduce bitterness. Then halve it and juice the lime using a juicer if you’ve got one.
I processed the lime and sugar in a processor for a smoother texture, but it’s not totally necessary here.
This dressing will yield more than you need, but you can reserve it and add to leftover berries, or toss some into cold water for a refreshing drink. Enjoy this berry salad at room temp or give it a chill before serving.
Enjoy this mixed berry salad with any of these recipes!
Tofu Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Grilled Sambal Oelek Tofu with Peanut Butter Sauce
Black Pepper and Thyme Crusted Tofu
Lemongrass Tofu with Satay SaucePrint
Mixed Berry Salad with Sweet Lime Dressing
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Diet: Vegan
This mixed berry salad uses blackberries, cherries and blueberries for a cool salad on warm days. It’s tossed in a sweet lime dressing for some contrast and tang.
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2 cups cherries, pitted and halved or quartered
- the zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2 tsp sugar
- In a large prep bowl, toss the berries together.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the lime juice, zest and sugar. Process in a food processor if you’d like a smoother texture, but this step isn’t necessary.
- Pour half of the dressing over the berries and gently toss to coat. Taste, then add more dressing if you’d like. Served chilled or at room temp.
- Reserve the extra dressing in the refrigerator. Add to any leftover berries or toss into cold water for a refreshing drink.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chilled, Macerated
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: berry salad, mixed berry salad, fruit salad
Ruchama B says
Difficult and expensive to obtain fresh blackberries where we live. Will frozen work? If so, should we defrost and rinse, or partially defrost and add?
Ruchama, I don’t think frozen blackberries would work well here. You can increase the amount of cherries/blueberries, or sub another fruit like plums, strawberries, peaches, or mangoes. I hope you enjoy it!
This fruit salad was soooo good and refreshing. Made it for our dinner and we were plenty satisfied. Plus I got a chance to use my handy dandy cherry pitter!
Thank you again for another wonderful recipe,
I’m so happy you enjoyed it, Trina! Thanks for your kind feedback. 🙂