When I was flipping through Tal Ronnen’s cookbook, The Conscious Cook, for the first time, I stopped at a beautifully shot page of various mushrooms—among them a king oyster which I’ve seen a million times—but never considering using. Chef Ronnen suggested slicing the stems into 1-inch pieces and roasting them. (I personally think the tops are useless—if you do too, throw them into a freezer bag to make stock later.) I immediately thought of pairing these “scallops” with some field roast and tiny roasted potatoes, using Old Bay, dill and melted earth balance for the seasoning—the result was a perfect combination of textures and flavors—this is easy, pretty and perfect for a quick and filling dinner.
Check Out These Recipes For More Ways to Use Vegan Scallops!Print
- 1 pound of tiny potatoes (about the size of grape tomatoes), halved
- 2 heads of garlic, separated and peeled
- 6 TB earth balance
- 5 TB olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp dill
- 1 1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 2 field roast links, mexican chipolte flavor, cut into 1-inch slices
- 4–5 king oyster mushroom stems, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 white onion, halved and cut into half-moon slices
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cups instant polenta
- 3 TB toffuti vegan cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large pyrex dish, combine 2 TB of the earth balance and 2TB of the olive oil. Add 1 tsp each of the dill and Old Bay seasoning. Add the garlic and potatoes and toss to coat. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- In a small skillet, place 1 TB of the oil and the onion and saute over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat up to medium high and saute for 15 minutes more, stirring frequently until browned but not burnt.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and stir. Place back in the oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes more, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent scorching.
- Remove the onions from the skillet and add 1 more TB of oil. Add the field roast and saute on each side for 4 minutes over medium heat. Remove from the skillet. Add 1 TB of earth balance, 1/2 tsp each of dill and Old Bay to the skillet. Add the mushrooms and saute on each side over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side.
- In a small saucepan, bring the 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and polenta and stir briskly until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add in the remaining 2 TB of Earth Balance and the vegan cream cheese.
- To assemble the dish, place a large spoonful of polenta onto a plate, followed by some onion, potatoes, field roast and oyster mushrooms.