This is one of our favorite dinners—we have this dish about every two weeks. Its spicy, salty, tangy and sweet. When properly pressed, marinated tofu that’s been sauteed goes perfectly with a mound of mashed potatoes and earth balance. The leftover marinade makes a perfect dipping sauce for the tofu and potatoes, and will satisfy with its heartiness and unique flavor. This recipe is adapted from Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s Asian Tofu recipe, which may be found in her cookbook, Vegan with a Vengeance (VwaV).Print
- 3/4 cup mirin
- 5 TB soy sauce
- 2 TB seasoned rice vinegar
- 4 TB toasted sesame oil
- 2–3 tsps red curry paste or sriracha
- 4 TB fresh ginger, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 block of tofu, pressed and sliced anyway you like
- Potatoes, skinned, sliced and chopped
- earth balance
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- salt and pepper
- kale, with ribs removed and ripped into small pieces
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a large glass pyrex dish, adjusting the curry/sriracha level as desired. Place the tofu slices into the marinade. Cover the pyrex with saran wrap and place in refrigerator for about four hours. Flip the tofu so the marinade saturates the other side for at least two more hours.
- Once you are ready to prepare the dish, boil some salted water with a bit of olive oil in a large pot. I place handfuls of potatoes into a mesh strainer and slowly submerge into the boiling water to avoid splashes. Boil for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- While your potatoes are boiling, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Drain with the mesh strainer and add the potatoes back into the pot and mash, adding earth balance, soy milk and salt and pepper.
- Heat a large flat pan over medium high heat. No need to add oil since your marinade has sesame oil added. Add the tofu until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes on each side.
- Place the kale on a cookie sheet lined with foil. Drizzle 4-5 tablespoons of the tofu marinade over that and bake for 10-12 minutes or until crisp.
- Once your tofu is done, remove some of the minced garlic and ginger from your marinade with a slotted spoon and saute for no more than one minute, watching carefully that it doesn’t brown.
- Assemble all of the components onto a plate, including leftover marinade in small soy sauce bowls. Sprinkle the sauteed garlic/ginger over the tofu and mashed potatoes.