Right after tofu, my favorite protein is the chickpea. Both of these things are totally blank canvases for developing and building upon any flavor you want. Because the chickpea is such a simple, cheap and easy ingredient to use, I always have multiple cans of them stored away in my kitchen cabinet. For this application (which makes perfect lunches for throughout the week), I combined chickpeas, pulsed a few times in a food processor with Vegenaise, a bit of red onion and carrot. It’s an excellent lunch—filling, nutritious and simple.
CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICH
Yield 2 servings
- 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup Vegenaise, plus more to taste
- 1 TB tahini
- 1/4 cup finely minced red onion (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated carrot (optional)
- 2 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp salt
- Place the chickpeas into a food processor and pulse a few times to break them up. You want them to still be a little chunky.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients. Add the chopped chickpeas to the bowl and combine well.
- Chill until ready to serve.