Thanksgiving was fantastic this year. It was just the two of us, although we probably made and ate enough for six. Throughout the day, we had music or football on in the background, this on at one point and a little champagne and dutch blitz in between those things while our cat, Nimrod, spent most of the day sprawled out in her usual spot beside the heater. All of these seemingly little and simple kinds of things have become big and endearing things to me over the past several months—and I’m thankful for and savor each and every one of them.
Because my life is a weird combination of not working and being in somewhat of a holding pattern right now, a slight restlessness and lack of structure have crept into my weekdays. So, to help fill in the quiet moments and gaps, I’ve been recently spending my days watching The Blacklist, Hit & Miss and Bates Motel; taking long walks outside unless it’s freezing or raining; sipping this and that; figuring out what to do with all of the tiny things in my kitchen; trying not to do too much of this or this; repainting our living room; listening to this, this and this; reading The Goldfinch, rereading Come Closer and waiting for We Are Water to become available at the library; and whipping up this gorgeous and velvety soup, packed with buttery cauliflower and creamy cashews, then dragging fresh homemade biscuits through it. Heavenly!Print
- 2 TB Earth Balance, divided
- 4–5 cups cauliflower florets
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups basic cashew cream
- 6 scallions, roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 2–3 cups vegetable broth
- sliced mushrooms
- fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Place 1 TB of the vegan butter, cauliflower florets and water into a medium-sized, heavy stockpot over medium heat. Cover and allow to soften for about 20 minutes, or until almost all of the water has been absorbed by the cauliflower.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a blender and allow to cool before pureeing. Once the mixture is smooth, add in the cashew cream and puree again.
- Return to your pot and add in the remaining 1 TB vegan butter. Add in the scallions, shallots and celery and saute over medium heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Transfer to the blender, allow to slightly cool, then puree again until smooth.
- Now add the entire contents of the blender back into the pot. Stir in 2 cups of the vegetable broth, adding in one more cup if you’d like a thinner soup.
- Garnish with sauteed mushrooms and fresh parsley. Serve immediately.