I’ve made a baked version of Bang Bang Cauliflower before … this version is beer battered + fried to make a delicious taco! You could also serve the florets and sauce as an app or pile onto a sandwich or burger.
Pairing the rich and heavy florets with crisp+clean cabbage and herbs strikes a perfect balance while the bang bang sauce pulls it all together.
For more cauliflower and taco inspiration, here are some ideas!
for the batter
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 TB + 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups beer (use a strong IPA for best results)
- canola, vegetable or grapeseed oil, for frying
for the cauliflower
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped into small, bited-sized florets
for the bang bang sauce
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 TB sriracha
- juice from one lime
- mandolined cabbage
- sliced avocado
- chopped cilantro
- chopped scallions
- warmed tortillas
to prepare the cauliflower
- Place the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt into a medium-sized bowl. Combine, then slowly pour in the beer. Gently stir until just combined, do not overmix. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- When you are ready to fry, place several inches of grapeseed or vegetable oil into a small cast iron pot. Heat over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until it reaches 350 degrees. You can also insert a chopstick into the oil, touching the bottom of the pot. If bubbles form or sizzle around the chopstick immediately, you are ready to fry.
- Working in small batches, lightly dust the cauliflower florets with some of the flour in a large bowl. Throw a handful of the florets into the batter with your hands and move around until evenly coated. The batter will be a little goopy.
- Add the florets carefully to the hot oil, one at a time. Do not overcrowd the pot, or your florets will stick together and get mushy. Fry until golden brown, just a few minutes, flipping it around using a spider skimmer.
- Transfer fried florets to a cookie sheet with a cooling rack while you finish frying the rest of the batches.
- Combine all of the bang bang sauce ingredients together, set aside.
- Serve as desired in warmed tortillas, in a burger or sandwich, or just dip the fried florets into the sauce as an app.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes