This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Star Market. All opinions are 100% my own.
For the upcoming holidays, it will be just the two of us, socially distancing at home. So, I’m determined and already planning to make it as festive as possible with food, movies, music, decorations and connecting with friends and family online. For food, this one-bite carrot lox cracker is first up on my list: it’s easy to make, fun to assemble, gorgeous and delicious!
To make this appetizer, start with these components: carrot lox (recipe follows), vegan cream cheese (your choice), minced red onion, capers, microgreens or dill, Open Nature® water crackers and SignatureSELECT™ salt and pepper to season.
The Open Nature® and SignatureSELECT™ lines used in this recipe are available exclusively in Boston at Star Market stores. If you live outside of the area, you can also find these products exclusively at any of the Albertsons Companies family of stores across the country, including ACME Markets, Albertsons, Safeway, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, United Supermarkets and Carrs. Visit starmarket.com/exclusivebrands to shop online or find a store near you.
When I prep carrot lox, I usually roast it uncovered, which produces a firmer-textured lox that’s perfect for bagels. But if you add foil over the top, you’ll get a softer texture, which is better suited for putting on crackers. I used SignatureSELECT™ Heavy Duty aluminum foil which sealed everything up perfectly, locking moisture in during roasting and creating the perfect texture for this lox.
Cover the carrots completely with coarse salt, then cover with the heavy-duty aluminum foil.
Once the lox is roasted, peeled, sliced and marinated for a couple of days, you’re ready to go! I like using a pastry bag for piping vegan cream cheese onto the crackers. You can add whatever tip you’d like for a measured amount.
Let the lox come to room temp before you start assembly. Pipe the cream cheese onto crackers, add minced onion and capers, top with the carrot lox and finish with microgreens or fresh dill.
If you’d like to have these again over the next couple of days … no problem! The carrot lox keeps well for up to a week in the refrigerator.
Assemble, serve, devour!
Carrot lox crackers: a perfect appetizer for the holiday season!
- one recipe carrot lox, using Signature Select® heavy duty aluminum foil to cover during roasting time
- Open Nature® Water Crackers
- one container of vegan cream cheese, transferred to a piping bag with any tip of your choice
- 1/4 cup minced or mandolined red onion
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1 cup microgreens or 1/4 cup fresh dill
- Signature Select® salt and pepper set, to season
- To prepare for assembly, remove the carrot lox from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.
- Place the water crackers onto a serving tray. Pipe each with some of the vegan cream cheese, followed by the red onion, capers and carrot lox. Top with microgreens or dill, and season with the salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately, saving any of the leftover components in separate containers for serving later.
Thank you to Star Market for sponsoring this post. I had the opportunity to work with a plant-based selection of Open Nature® and SignatureSELECT™ products from my local Star Market in Boston—check out your local family of Albertsons stores to see what’s available in your area.
Star Market also offers Grocery Delivery and Pick Up for convenient ways to shop!