This Japanese-style breakfast bowl is made with cold rice, carrot lox, creamy avocado, nori strips, pickled plums and furikake seasoning. It’s a nice breakfast on a slow morning. Serve with green tea for a comforting and flavorful bowl!
When I came across this Japanese-Style Breakfast Bowl on Bon Appétit, it looked so good. I discovered I already had everything for it in my fridge and pantry, so gave it a try. This version doesn’t use salmon or lox, of course, and everything else is already vegan. It was super easy to make and so delicious!
How to make a vegan Japanese-style breakfast bowl
Carrot lox works great here, because it plays so well with the texture of the rice. It also works well with the creaminess of the avocado and the rice seasoning, which is seaweed-based. I discovered ochazuke wakame seasoning at my local Japanese market a couple of years ago, and put it on everything! Furikake seasoning also works well here!
What is furikake seasoning?
Beyond using it for seasoning rice, I use furikake seasoning in miso soup, sprinkled over ramen, paired with matcha in noodles and to give these golden beets an extra punch of flavor. It’s super salty, delivers a powerful umami flavor and has a great, crispy texture.
Furikake seasoning is a sweet and savory seasoning, made with sesame seeds, salt and sugar, seaweed flakes, a spicy element and nori seaweed. Watch out for katsuobushi, or bonito flakes, in the ingredients is made of smoked fish. You can also easily make your own vegan furikake seasoning yourself.
This bowl is a great way to use up what you have in your fridge and pantry. It keeps you full throughout the morning!
For more bowl ideas, check these recipes out!
Get This Recipe In Your Inbox
Share your email, and we’ll deliver it straight to your inbox.
Plus, enjoy new recipes every week as a bonus!
This Japanese-style breakfast bowl is perfect for slow mornings. Cold rice, creamy avocado, carrot lox, furikake and pickled plum all taste so good together. Inspired by Bon Appétit’s Easy Japanese-Style Breakfast Bowl.
- 2 cups cold, leftover rice
- ochazuke wakame or furikake seasoning (can be found at most Asian grocers, some contain bonito or fish, double-check the label)
- black and white sesame seeds
- 1 recipe carrot lox (omit the liquid smoke if you’d like)
- 1/2 toasted nori sheet, cut into strips
- fresh avocado, sliced
- pickled plums (can be found at most Asian grocers)
optional, for serving
- lime wedges
- vegan mayo
- green tea
- Distribute the cold rice between two bowls. Sprinkle with the desired amount of rice seasoning and sesame seeds. Top with the desired amount of carrot lox, nori strips, avocado and pickled plums.
- Serve with lime wedges, sriracha or vegan mayo (or sriracha-mayo) and green tea, if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Sliced
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: japanese-style breakfast bowl, breakfast bowl, savory breakfast bowl