In this deep-fried Brussels sprouts recipe, Brussels sprouts are halved and deep fried to create a crispy exterior that’s so addictive and delicious! These crispy, one-bite sprouts are perfect dipped into a creamy, chipotle sauce with browned vegan sausage crumbles. The smoky and slightly spicy flavor of the chipotles in adobo work so well with the crispiness of the sprouts. The bacon adds another texture that keeps you going back for another bite!
A couple of years ago, I tried deep-fried Brussels sprouts out at a restaurant. It was magic. Crispy, greasy magical magic. I wanted to try making this at home, and it turned out to be super easy and just as delicious.
How to deep-fry Brussels sprouts
Start with DRY, room-temp Brussles sprouts. Why? Oil and water don’t mix. Even a small amount of moisture will create explosive, slightly scary little pops and plonks when you deep fry. Why room temp? You want your oil to stay hot, and cold Brussels will mess with that.
Once you have these two things down, you’ll still want to drop the halved Brussels in ONE AT A TIME, wait about 30 seconds, then drop in another. Proceed with caution!
After you’ve deep-fried, you’ll be left with these gorgeously crispy Brussels sprouts.
How to serve these fried Brussels sprouts
Brussels love a fatty+smokey component, and this Chipotle-Bacon mayo is the perfect sauce to drag them through. I used Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausage here, but you could use chopped Sweet Earth Benevolent Bacon, tempeh bacon, or mushroom bacon.
More Brussels and Vegan Bacon recipes!
Get This Recipe In Your Inbox
Share your email, and we’ll deliver it straight to your inbox.
Plus, enjoy new recipes every week as a bonus!
These deep-fried Brussels sprouts have a crispy exterior that’s so addictive and delicious! These one-bite sprouts are perfect dipped into a creamy, chipotle sauce.
for the chipotle-bacon mayo
- 1 Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausage, finely chopped and crisped in a hot pan (see Notes for other options)
- 2–4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1–4 TB chipotles in adobo, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup chipotle fabanaise (I used Sir Kensington’s)
for the Brussels sprouts
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, halved, completely dry and at room temp
- canola or grapeseed oil, for frying
to make the chipotle-bacon mayo
- Combine all sauce ingredients. Adjust to taste.
to fry the Brussels sprouts
- Place several inches of oil into a heavy pan. I use a small cast-iron pot for this.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes. Insert a chopstick into the pot, touching the bottom of the pan. If bubbles form around it immediately, you are ready to fry.
- Place ONE Brussels half, cut-side down, into the oil. If there is any moisture whatsoever in the sprout, the oil will pop and may sprurt a little out of the pan. This should subside after several seconds. Do not place another sprout into the pan until the first one has completely calmed down.
- Check the other Brussels during the fry time. They can be removed and placed back onto the baking sheet to cool. (I placed a cookie cooling rack on top of a baking sheet.)
- Serve with the chipotle-bacon mayo.
- These sprouts can be recrisped in an air fryer for several minutes at 400.
- Other vegan bacon options that can be used are prepared seitan-based, tempeh or mushrooms (see blog post for links).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Side
- Method: Deep Fried
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: deep fried brussels sprouts, flash fried brussels sprouts, deep fried brussels sprouts with bacon