A sweet and spicy mango salsa, served with deep-fried rice paper wrappers! This is a refreshing recipe that’s perfect for summer. Serve with chips or spoon over tacos for a refreshing flavor and pop of color.
for the salsa*
- 2 ripe mangoes, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped and packed
- 1/2 jalapeño, finely diced (use more or less to taste, or omit if you don’t like spicy)
- 2–3 TB red onion, finely minced
- the juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, grated on a microplane grater
- a few pinches of flaky sea salt
for the fried rice paper chips
- 6 rice paper wrappers (either keep whole or cut into 4 pieces with scissors)
- canola or grapeseed oil, for frying
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder, combined with 1/4 tsp flaky sea salt
to make the salsa
- Combine all of the salsa ingredients in a large prep bowl. Adjust any of the ingredients to taste.
to make the fried rice paper chips
- Place a couple of inches of oil into a pot with a diameter that is a bit larger than your rice paper. Heat over medium-high heat for several minutes. To test the oil’s readiness, place a chopstick into the oil, touching the bottom of the pot. Once bubbles form around the chopstick, you are ready to fry.
- Place a cooling rack or paper towels onto a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Place one piece of rice paper into the hot oil. It should sizzle and puff up immediately. If it doesn’t puff up immediately, toss that floppy disk away. Let your oil heat for about 2 minutes more and try again.
- Remove your puff from the oil with tongs and transfer to the baking sheet. Season immediately with a bit of the garlic salt.
- Repeat with the remaining pieces of rice paper.
Serve the salsa and rice paper chips immediately. The salsa can be refrigerated for a few days, but tastes best at room temperature. The chips can be left out for a few hours.
*Add ripe diced avocado, black beans and/or diced red bell pepper if you’d like.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Appetizer, Snack
- Method: Chopped, Deep Fried
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mango salsa, fried rice paper crisps, fresh mango salsa