This is the Protein-Happy Quinoa Wrap, an amazing recipe among 101 other sandwich recipes from Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day! by Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes. I whipped up a batch of the filling and tapenade for a workday lunch, which I prepared the night before, and found it to be very easy to make. It also called for ingredients that I already had on hand in my pantry and fridge, which was nice. It’s packed with fluffy quinoa, hearty cannellini beans and other goodies, which is then tossed in a vibrant and well-balanced dressing. All of the flavors, textures and components in this wrap are well thought out and taste amazing. Needless to say, it made a great lunch, and I will be making this again and again for its great flavor, ease and convenience and also because it’s incredibly healthy and filling. Below is the recipe and method for making the Protein-Happy Wrap, which Celine and Tami have kindly agreed to share here … bon appetit!
Hungry for more? Enter my giveaway for the chance to win your own copy directly from the publisher!
Already own a copy? Leave a review on amazon.com!
Protein-Happy Quinoa Wraps from Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day! (Fair Winds Press, 2012)Print
Protein-Happy Quinoa Wraps
- Yield: 4 wraps
Used with permission from Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day! (Fair Winds Press, 2012)
- 1/2 cup (28 g) minced sun-dried tomatoes (moist vacuum-packed, not oil-packed)
- 1/4 cup (25 g) minced kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) chopped capers
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ cups (355 ml) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (84 g) dry quinoa
- 1/4 cup (30 g) packed golden raisins (optional)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons (25 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons (15 g) minced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) roasted salted pepitas
- 3/4 cup (197 g) cooked cannellini beans
- 2 tablespoons (8 g) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon (2 g) minced fresh basil
- Four 10-inch (25-cm) flour tortillas
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into strips
- 1 small cucumber, cut into strips
To make the tapenade:
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse a few times, but leave it chunky. Chill for at least 2 hours to let the flavors develop.
To make the quinoa:
Bring the broth to a boil in a medium size pot. Add the quinoa and cook for 8 minutes. Add the raisins and cook for 2 to 4 minutes longer, or until the quinoa is cooked and the telltale tail appears. Drain in a fine-mesh sieve. Set aside to cool completely.In the meantime, prepare the dressing by combining the vinegar, lemon juice, oil, red pepper flakes, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, pepitas, and beans in a large bowl. Add the quinoa mixture, parsley, and basil to the dressing and stir until well coated.
To assemble the wraps:
In the middle of each wrap, spread 3 tablespoons (25 g) tapenade. Top with a generous 1/2 cup (120 g) quinoa filling. Divide the red bell pepper and cucumber among the wraps. Fold the ends in and roll closed.
i totally have my eye on this recipe! I think I might put it on the menu for this week.
It's so perfect! : )
The wrap looks amazing! I'm always having trouble coming up with lunch ideas that travel easily for work. I think I need to buy this book!
adwhite17: it's perfect for that!
Maggie Muggins says
That one is on my to-make list this week! It looks delicious.
Vegan in Boston says
Thank you so much for the preview!!
Lena Mumenthaler says
Oh that really sounds like a great lunch idea. Thanks for sharing
i won this book form Hannah's giveaway.. and i cant wait to try so many of the recipes! these wraps look and sound totally amazing!
Alice | Smokin Tofu says
Ooh, I've had my eye on this book for a while, and I think I might have just been seduced into splashing out…
This recipe is AWESOME! The combination of flavors and textures is wonderful – thank you for such a great recipe!
Yes, Tami and Celine's recipe is amazing, and glad you enjoyed it. There are 100 more amazing recipes in their book! : )