My mandoline slicer is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. It’s great for slicing beets because it produces perfect and uniform cuts in under a minute. Dousing those slices in balsamic vinegar and olive oil and roasting them brings out their earthiness while creating a unique caramelized flavor and wonderful chewy texture. When roasting, be sure place the bigger pieces along the outside of the baking sheet—those pieces will develop a beautiful char around the edges while the smaller interior pieces will develop a chewy texture and bright red color.Print
ROASTED BEET STACK WITH BALSAMIC VINEGAR AND FRESH THYME
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 large beets, washed and peeled
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar, plus more as needed
- salt and pepper
- 1 TB fresh thyme, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line two large baking sheets with aluminum foil and grease lightly with some olive oil. Slice the beets on a mandoline slicer and arrange on the baking sheets so they are slightly overlapping each other. Douse with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and flip all of the beets over. Roast for an additional 10-15 minutes, ensuring that the beets do not burn. Once they are done, sprinkle with the fresh thyme and then let them rest on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day says
This looks so amazing and delicious.. and the picture is just gorgeous!
bliss vagabond says
You have such an inspiring blog–full of photos I want to look at and food I want to eat!
I have discovered a new love for beets, and this looks amazing – love the plate!
Thank you so much! I love beets and always looking for a new way to prepare them. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a mandoline slicer?
WokiInTime, thanks for your comment! A mandoline slicer is a flat utensil that has a razor sharp blade that yields paper-thin slices. They can be really cheap (I bought mine for about 5 dollars) or really expensive (I've seen some for over 100 dollars) — its a wonderful gadget to have!
FOREVER FLAVOR says
Creative, simple and delicious
bliss vagabond says
Stunningly gorgeous and a great tip about the larger slices of beets!
This looks amazing!
Maria Ramirez says
I just made this dish and it's as amazing and delish as it looks in the picture. So easy to make and yummy!
Glad you enjoyed!
Suzanne Sanger says
This looks beautiful AND delicious! My only wish is that you would start to include info on how many servings your recipes yield. I've been just guessing 4, but I really have no clue.
Thanks Suzanne! I started posting time and yields in early 2013, which is why this older post is missing that info. I agree, it makes things much easier — a lesson I've learned along the way!