I’ve been making an effort to cut down on refined carbs and put more green stuff in my diet over the past few months. I definitely sleep better, which is worth abandoning hash browns, fries and crackers. I also got a Vitamix which helps, and green smoothies and shakes have replaced my usual refined-carb heavy breakfasts.
Rethinking meals and reducing or removing refined carbs is a bit of a creativity killer though. Or is it just my attitude? These protein-packed fries are attitude-adjusted, easy to make and super similar to potato-based fries. Chickpea flour is rich and satisfying, while this tangy and rich sauce helps balance everything out.
Make a batter with chickpea flour and water. Heat, whisk, cool and cut.
I used Kite Hill’s Greek-Style plain+unsweetened yogurt and tahini for a rich and tangy sauce, although ketchup or any other sauce that loves fries will do.
The outside is crisp, while the insides are pillowy soft and rich.
Chickpea Fries with Yogurt-Tahini Sauce
Yield 2 servings
for the chickpea fries
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 cups water
- 4 TB olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- cooking spray
for the yogurt-tahini sauce
- I used one (5.3 oz.) Kite Hill Greek-style yogurt, but any plain+unsweetened, non-dairy yogurt will do.
- 1 TB tahni
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- a few pinches of smoked paprika
- 1-2 TB chopped parsley
- lemon wedges
to make the chickpea batter
- Whisk the chickpea flour, water, 2 TB of the oil and salt and pepper in a bowl until smooth.
- Warm the remaining 2 TB oil in a medium-sized heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add in the batter, wait until it starts to bubble, then whisk for 3-4 minutes, until the batter slightly thickens, turning the heat down as needed if it starts to sputter.
- Spray a medium-sized pyrex with some of the cooking spray. Working quickly, transfer the batter to the pyrex, smoothing it down with a spatula.
- Allow to cool, cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
to make the yogurt-tahini sauce
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients. Chill until ready to use.
to prepare the fries
- transfer the chilled batter to a cutting board, slicing it into 1/2-inch wide strips, cutting in half if desired.
- Lightly spray with a little oil and place into an air fryer in a single layer (I had to do these in two separate batches) at 400 for about 10 minutes, flipping over halfway through, and adding a little more oil and salt if desired.
- Serve immediately with the sauce, topping with smoked paprika if desired. Add parsley and lemon wedges.
The chickpea fries can be baked, chilled and reheated in an air fryer for about 5 minutes at 400.
The chickpea fries can also be deep-fried, pan-fried or baked at 400 until golden all over.