I am very nervous about the hurricane. I’ve been staying away from US and local news reports, but checking weather.com like a hawk. Our basement floor has been cleared out, water has been purchased and other preparations have been made to brace ourselves for the strong winds and rain coming our way. I can actually feel a little buzz in the air although there is barely any wind and only a little rain sprinkling right now. So there is not much to do now but wait and see what will happen.
Mindless and repetitive tasks help to take my mind off of the inevitable, so I’ve been in my kitchen most of the afternoon making wontons and broth for this soup, and filling the extra wrappers I had with peanut butter and sambal to create a savory dessert. I love combining hot sauce with peanut butter as well as chocolate (or both in this case) and, although it sounds a little strange, there is something quite good and completely comforting about it.
PEANUT BUTTER AND SAMBAL WONTONS WITH CHOCOLATE SAUCE
for the wontons
- vegan wonton wrappers
- freshly ground natural peanut butter
- sambal oelek
- vegetable oil, for frying
for the chocolate sauce
- 2 TB raw virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 TB unsweetened cocoa (I used Ghirardelli brand)
- 1-2 TB powdered sugar
- Assemble your wontons by placing 3/4 tsp peanut butter and 1/4 tsp sambal into the center of a wonton wrapper. Fold your wontons and place to the side on a greased plate, covered by a damp paper towel until you are ready to fry them.
- Heat plenty of vegetable oil in a small saute pan over medium-high heat. After about 7 minutes, insert a wooden spoon into the oil, touching the bottom of the pan. If bubbles form immediately around the spoon, you are ready to fry.
- Fry only 2-3 wontons at a time, flipping them over once to ensure even frying. After 1-2 minutes, they should be golden brown. Remove from the oil and place on paper towels to drain.
- Once all of your wontons are assembled, make your chocolate sauce by whisking together the coconut oil, cocoa and powdered sugar. Serve immediately with the wontons.