Have you ever toasted your grains before you prepare them? I tried it out here with farro, and it created an amazing texture. Paired with toasted pine nuts, this dish is super hearty, super healthy and super filling.
It works as a breakfast, lunch or dinner. I used shiitakes here, but add whatever vegan protein you want: Field Roast sausages, tempeh, lentils or chickpeas, cubed tofu any mushroom.
And a little dirt won’t hurt on your shrooms—just wipe anything away with a damp towel and you’re good to go. Those gills soak up liquid, so submerging to clean them isn’t a great idea if you want good texture.
To reheat, just toss leftovers into a preheated cast iron pan. Easy peasy.
Toasted Farro with Roasted Shiitake, Shallots and Pine Nuts
Yield 2 servings
for the farro
for the mushrooms and shallots
- 1 lb. shiitake, stems removed
- 1 cup mandolined shallots
- a few pinches of salt
- olive oil
to prepare the farro
- In a medium-sized heavy pot, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Once slightly bubbling, add in the farro and thyme sprigs and stir to coat. Allow to toast for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the broth and allow to come to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add in the soy sauce. Cover, but tilt the lid to allow steam to escape. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
to prepare the mushrooms and shallots
- Preheat oven to 450.
- On a baking sheet, add the shiitake in a single layer and drizzle with a little olive oil and season with a few pinches of salt.
- In a medium, sized cast iron pan, add the mandolined shallots. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt.
- Place both into the oven and allow to roast for 10-15 minutes. Flip the mushrooms and stir the shallots halfway through the cooking time. Allow to roast for 10-15 minutes more, keeping an eye on both, removing once golden.
- Warm the olive oil in a small cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until golden. Add to the cooked farro.
- Scrape out any garlic bits and add the pine nuts to the cast iron pan. Allow to slightly toast for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to the cooked farro.
- Add the mustard to the cooked farro and give it a good stir. Add in the roasted shiitake, shallots and fresh parsley to the farro.
- Transfer to serving bowls, adding in the desired amount of vegan parm. Serve immediately.